Tuesday

How Black is the Water?



In my search for a "Junior Theme" why question, I seemed to stumble upon a specialized military force topic. Doc OC shed some light on what this really meant for me, because I had never heard of such a thing. A specialized military force can always be referred to as a military contractor, which is defined as any person or persons who enter into a contract with a federal government of the United States for the production of material or for the performance of services for national defense. When i finally understood what this was I was dumbfounded, I never thought that our government could hire a defense company before, but as I discovered that is very untrue.

Mr. O'connor advised me to check up on the group called "Black Water", they were a military contractor group who were involved in combat in iraq. Originally they were first hired in 2000 after the bombing of USS Cole in Yemen. They were founded by Erik Prince and the group spent time training with the Navy SEALS and SWAT teams. The Black Water team was hired to help in the middle east with war combat and counter terrorism missions. But in 2007 they were alleged to be apart of killing 17 Iraqis, which included a child and innocent civilians. This report leads me to the question of why there is a need for contracting out defense programs?
If the US wants to steer clear of conflict with foreign policies, I wonder why they put their trust in non-governmental companies to handle conflicts in foreign countries. Why not just let our military system handle the jobs? Many questions linger when this topic is being discussed, one possibility I might think of is that maybe the US doesn't want their flag being linked to these missions the contractors are put on...


here is a video of possible Black Water group members recently in Russia. Keep in mind this is not an official site and there could be some bias.


No comments:

Post a Comment