Thursday

Vaccinate your kids

It started before the holidays an annoying cough that would not go away...I must be just getting a cold or was it something else?  A visit to my doctor put me on medicine and still that cough persisted keeping me hacking all night. The coughing continues morning noon and night, the prescribed medicines and cough suppressant was not working, I go back to the doctor and more medicine prescribed this time hoping it will be the cure for my sleepless nights. And then another test, could it be Whooping Cough? No! Not me...my parents have always been timely with my vaccinations especially because I was born with a heart condition. Always taking the extra precautions necessary to keep me healthy. But there it was, a confirmed diagnosis of whooping cough also known as Pertusis.

A mixed debate has been going around for quite sometime about vaccinations for kids. Some people really think their children's immune system is strong enough to fight off preventable disease. For example, one lady born in the 70's tells a story here, about how her mother didn't believe in vaccinating, which later caused her many complications in childhood illnesses. I believe they are wrong. I was born with a compromised immune system and therefore always more susceptible to many viruses and airborne illnesses. There are no confirmed studies to suggest that not vaccinating your child will ensure their good health. However, it has been proven NOT vaccinating your child could expose other innocent children to viruses. Most proponents have argued that vaccinations are one of the greatest health developments of the 20th century. Diseases like rubella, diphtheria, measles and whooping cough once killed thousands of infants but are now prevented from these vaccinations.  According to the American Academy of Pediatrics most childhood vaccines are 90-99% effective in preventing disease.  And for those (like myself) who have been vaccinated against theses diseases, but contract the virus anyway our symptoms are usually milder and less serious. The parents against these childhood vaccinations believe the government does not have the right to interfere in their children's health decisions. They hold religious beliefs and natural law as a reason for not vaccinating. They believe the rare and possible side-effects are not worth the risk of safeguarding about the "possibility" of their child getting the disease. A suggestion also arises whether the vaccines are promoted to generate profits for manufacturers who endorse vaccines.

I am a proponent of vaccinations. I am also lucky to have just an annoying cough and not gasping for breath like the innocent babies who have not been vaccinated. Another thing I believe is that a rational and thoughtful human being should consider how a decision can effect other human beings.  I personally would never feel comfortable knowing there was a possibility I spread a disease that made another person suffer or caused their untimely death. If you want to learn about how outbreaks have effected places across the map, here is a local news video on a outbreak of Pertusis.

"Healthy citizens are the greatest asset any country can have.
Winston Churchill



1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing what you went through. A very important topic, JacK, and worthy of an American Studies blog, for sure. Quite timely for my reading since I just saw this humorous yet informative website, criticizing Jenny McCarthy's stance on this issue.

    Couple of ways to make this stronger:
    1) Cut down on the length of the middle paragraph -- it can be said in a way that's a bit briefer than what you have written, initially.
    2) More importantly, think about WHY this is an American issue? Does it have something to do with our worship of celebrities? Our emphasis on individualism? Our lack of collectivism?

    ReplyDelete